Home Plant Care Is Red Spider Lily Poisonous To Humans

Is Red Spider Lily Poisonous To Humans

Is red spider lily poisonous to humans

Red spider lilies contain toxic particles, and it is poisonous to humans. If you accidentally eat it, it may cause nausea and vomiting. In special cases, severe coma can occur. Therefore, red spider lilies are best placed outdoors for breeding.

Although red spider lily contains poison, its medicinal value is also very high. It can use to make insecticidal substances, can prevent plague, and also has an excellent therapeutic effect for edema rheumatism.

Few people plant this at home because of the toxins contained in the flowers. Also, they are difficult to see even in gardens.

Is red spider lily contains traces of toxins

Red spider lily flowers

Many plants contain toxins, so is it poisonous? The red spider lily contains toxins, but the toxins are not very large. However, the red spider lily’s flowers, leaves, fruits, and seeds are poisonous, so the whole plant is poisonous. The toxic substances contained in the red spider lily are alkaloids, mainly lycorine and colchicine.

  1. Lycorine: It can be used to induce vomiting in medicine, so people who eat the red spider lily by mistake will show symptoms of vomiting.
  2. Colchicine: A highly toxic and carcinogenic substance. Colchicine is used extensively in biology to induce genetic mutation and chromosomal aberrations.

If accidentally ingested, it will occur vomiting. It is best to be placed out of reach of children to avoid poisoning.

Red spider lily poison symptoms

If you touch the red spider lily with your hand, it will be poisoned. Red spider lily is a characteristic of the lithospermum class. After a red spider lily touches the skin, it will become red, swollen, and itchy. And it will cause a nosebleed when it enters the respiratory tract. So be careful when working with it.

These symptoms may occur if the inside is poisoned

  • Salivation
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stiff tongue
  • Convulsions
  • Cold hands and feet
  • Weak pulse
  • Shock
  • Even death from respiratory center paralysis
Red spider lily flower

Uses of red spider lily toxins

Lycopodium is used medically to induce vomiting. However, it is a highly toxic and carcinogenic substance, and it is used in biology to induce gene mutation and chromosome doubling.

The toxins contained in the red spider lilies can repel snakes and insects, so it is most suitable to be placed outdoors. In addition, it can play a decorative role and prevent snakes and insects.

Scientists also extract their toxins to use for medicines. For example, it is used to prevent plague and treat rheumatism and edema, which is of great medicinal value.

Can you keep the red spider lily at home?

Red spider lily flower

Although the red spider lily is a poisonous flower, as long as you pay attention to the usual maintenance process, you can keep it indoors.

But the toxins contained in the red spider lily can repel snakes and insects, so it is most suitable for outdoor cultivation. It can play a decorative role and prevent snakes and insects.

Red spider lily love diffused light. So they should be kept in a semi-shaded and well-ventilated place in the house and should not be exposed to too much light. When it comes to red spider lily maintenance, red spider lilies don’t have too many soil requirements. As long as it is acidic soil, the roots can breathe more and survive very well. The maintenance method is also very simple.

FAQ

Are spider lilies poisonous to cats

Spider lilies are toxic to cats because they contain highly toxic substances in all of their parts, which can injure animals if they come into contact with them. So, if you take care of cats at home, you need to be careful not to let them touch lilies, which can cause kidney failure, constant vomiting, and loss of appetite.

Are red spider lilies poisonous to dogs

Red spider lilies can be poisonous to dogs. Most lily poisoning can result in stomach discomfort in dogs. So, you need to be careful when growing lilies at home. Luckily, not all kinds of lilies are poisonous to dogs.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here